Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Pasta


Its 86 degrees outside today. Doesn't that seem much more like temperatures for July and August instead of October? However, it seems like my body doesn't want to comply with what is going on outside. I'm completely ready for Fall...and so are my taste buds. So despite the atrociously warm weather, I decided it was time for a fall meal.

Now, we don't eat pasta very often. Too many carbs and grains for me. However, I do indulge every once in a while. Last night was one of those nights. My personal preference is Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta. For me, it doesn't get gummy or gooey like brown rice pastas can.

The flavors in this pasta sauce are warm and calming and bring the smells of fall to the kitchen. I used goat cheese to create a creaminess to the sauce. My sensitive tummy can handle to goat cheese much easier than any dairy. However, if you don't care for the tang the goat cheese can add, you can always substitute in cream cheese or plain greek yogurt. (If you choose the yogurt route, you may need to adapt the amount of broth added, as the yogurt is thinner than the cheese.)

Pumpkin Pasta

1 pound gf pasta
1/2 yellow onion, diced finely
3 garlic cloves, minced finely
2 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth (if using store bought, make sure its low sodium)
5 oz goat cheese
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 tsp agave

Cook pasta to al dente. You still want it to have a little bite to it.

In a tall sided saute pan, heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Saute onions until they start to become translucent, about 5 minutes. (You don't want them to get too brown, so make sure your heat isn't too high.) Add garlic, continue to saute until onions are completely translucent and garlic is soft.

In the same pan, add in pumpkin and chicken broth. Slowly whisk together until completely combined. Add in goat cheese, whisking until melted and combined into pumpkin mixture. At this point, if you want a thinner sauce, add more broth to reach desired consistency. I like a much thicker sauce, so I didn't add any additional broth.

Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, agave, salt and pepper. If you are using cream cheese or plain yogurt, you may not need as much spice, due to the tang of the goat cheese. I suggest starting with half of what I suggest and adding from there.

Serve hot with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

NOTE:
This makes more than enough sauce for 1 pound of pasta. The extra freezes very well and defrosts easily.

Shared at:  Slightly Indulgent Tuesday  Hearth & Soul Hop

3 comments:

  1. Yum Al!! Your blog is awesome. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkin, and it really is a wonderful partner to pasta - especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious pumpkin pasta Love it. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete