Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

It's Never To Early In The Year For Pumpkin!


I’ve been absent from the blog lately and I apologize for that.  I’ve been having a fair number of food and digestive problems and have been doing some contemplating on how my diet needs to change.  Because of that, and a new workout schedule that keeps my nights pretty packed, I haven’t been cooking much of anything that is blog worthy…and I’ve missed it!

I’ve got some good things coming down the pipeline, but for now this is one of my new favorite breakfasts.  I’m loving the return of oatmeal to my diet.  I cut it out a while back when I tried the whole grain-free thing, but I’ve realized that my body needs a certain amount of good carbs to function well.  (More on my new found food plan in the near future) 

This breakfast is perfect for non-morning people like myself.  Throw everything in the crock-pot the night before and the left-overs warm up super easily!

While some of you may think “Pumpkin in August?  That’s crazy!!” I happen to believe that pumpkin is delicious (and needed) all year round.

Crock-Pot Pumpkin Steel-Cut Oatmeal
½ cups steel-cut oats
5 cups water
15 oz pumpkin puree
¼ cup sweetener (I used agave, but brown sugar or maple syrup would work too)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ - 1 tsp cardamom (I love cardamom so I use lots!)
½ tsp salt

Toppings:
Dried cranberries
Chopped pecans
Additional sprinkle of cinnamon
Splash of milk

Pour everything into a crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  I like to line my crock-pot with one of those fancy liners.  It makes for much easier clean up!


Share over at Whole Food Fridays Real Food Wednesdays Pennywise Platter Thursday Gluten-Free Friday

2 comments:

  1. I agree, its always time for pumpkin! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party last week! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you'll join us this week to share more yummies! Also, be sure to stop back by to see who the winner of the Planet Rice will be! The winner will be announced at GFF #9 Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally made this today and something was terribly wrong. It looked nothing like your picture and was more like pumpkin soup: very watery, needed more sugar and the spice was too strong. I can't help but think that it needed more oats and maybe something else. I make steel cut oats all the time, but my pumpkin loving kids couldn't stomach this, and they are not into real sweet things.

    ReplyDelete